Saturday, March 6, 2010

Running...

so today I went for an early morning run. i haven't done that in too many months to count because i just haven't had the time. i trained and ran 2 half marathons last year and since then have been kind of not able to run. i usually go to the gym and run on the treadmill which isn't my ideal choice of run venue. but this morning i went because my sister was staying the night. with kids too young to stay at home by themselves, it makes for difficult timing for runs. the first thing i noticed about this morning's run was how at peace i felt being outdoors... running is a solitary sport and not for everyone. i only fell into it by accident, but that's a blog for another time. :)

with my iPod in and the cold air on my face i ran a route in my neighborhood that i usually run for an easy 4-5 miles... just being outdoors when Nature is waking up is really neat because you can hear the birds and squirrels and there aren't many cars out. listening to my feet pounding on the pavement and my breathing along with my music is quite nice in comparison to the sound of a machine under your feet and dozens of other people talking and weights being dropped at the gym.

as my strides eat up the distance and i pass by many still sleeping houses, i can honestly say that there are times i can have a clear mind and not be thinking about a thing, and times i feel i can solve the worlds' problems during a run... it's a Spiritual experience at times and it's when i can feel closest to God... now I know that seems like a bit of a stretch for some but it is for me at least, i am at peace and all seems still in the world... i feel the calm come over me and feel the release of any tension i have within and can actually focus on me for once... it's a way to balance my world with the crazy things going on within it, and to energize me for the coming day and what's in store for me...

nearing the end of my run, i start to focus more on what's waiting for me at home... i start to wind down and actually think instead of letting my feet take me where they know where to go... today was going to be a busy day and the run was a way to get me ready to face it all. some days it's great to come back from a run and to just feel the energy around me and other days, i don't have time to enjoy my run... today i got to enjoy it and stay on that high the whole day.

life is like running, there are many curves and bumps on your path but in the end its a satisfying journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment